Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Breathtaking!

     A few days ago I was lucky enough to join dad at one of the greatest places on earth if your a golfer, Bandon Dunes!  If your unfamiliar with what that is it's a golf resort with four 18 hole courses on it and one 13 hole par three.  It was built on the Oregon coast on top of the same sandy ocean soil in which the old courses in Scotland are built on.  It is truly the only golfing experience anywhere near us that is true links style golf.  The owner of the resort went to his team of course designers with three simple rules, no golf carts, no real estate, and protect par.  Well I can attest to the fact that he did an awesome job in all three categories!  We played two of the four courses in one day and after barely breaking 90 each round I felt really good!  It was not only the most grueling test from a physical standpoint of walking 36 holes in one day, but also mentally wrapping your head around some of the difficult lies, bounces, and roll outs we are all too familiar with seeing on tv during the British Open.  Dad and I both agree that after spending a little time in the bottom of bunkers so deep you only hope to get out of it, and watching numerous good looking shots just keep rolling right off the green and into trouble, we have a much greater appreciation of what the pro's go through every July!  I simply can't put it into words how special this place is so I just have to refer you to the pictures so you can see for your self.  

Action on the par 3 course the day before we played the big courses

It's hard to see from this angle but im on the green and hes about 40' below me!  He got it on the green form there too!

140 yards out, pot bunker with a 5' face, no problem!:)

surveying his options from the 15th tee at Pacific Dunes

Action and his caddie walking up the fairway

This is the signature hole on Bandon Dunes, 385 yard par 4, I don't think I need to explain why it's the signature hole:)

some cabbage!:)

This is the course motto and above the pro shop at Bandon Dunes.


     As you can see if your a golfer you can see why this place would be worth the trip.  And if your not a golfer theres over 15 miles of walking trails including one that goes down to the beach, plus you could easily walk along with the golfer in your life and take in all of the breathtaking scenery!  We sat on the 16th tee box at Bandon and watched a small pod of whales breaching just off the shore!  I could tell I was experiencing something special when I had to be reminded that it was my turn to tee off!  When I can get so fixated on the scenery around me that I forget that I'm playing golf, it's something pretty special!

Remember, even during some of the biggest events of your life it's the small things that leave the largest impression:)

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post Kyle!!! Looks like you guys had an experience of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete