Monday, October 13, 2014

I'm getting too old for this!

     If the title of this post has you thinking this is yet another cliche filled blog post over saturated with gripes of all the things I used to be able to do, your right:).  I apologize in advance if you were hoping for something a bit more original today, but after this past week I don't really have much more to write about than my increasing realization that I am not getting any younger!
     As I previously mentioned we started our major winter project this past week of finishing our basement and although we've decided to break it up into manageable sized tasks each month, trying to give ourselves a break in between phases in hopes that this strategy will help keep Kelli and I from getting completely burned out, each little phase is bound to come with its own little troubles.  This week was exterior insulation and framing of the walls.  Overal this task went pretty well, until we got to the laundry room and realized that in order to insulate and frame up this wall I had to reroute some of the plumbing lines, which all this did was drag it on for a couple more evenings as I replumbed everything back in the way we want it to be finished.  Then just about the time we were done we remembered that the crawl space underneath the addition Part of our house had no insulation!  This was a big reason why it rarely stayed warm in our bedroom and office, so we went and bought some insulation and picked this past Saturday as the morning to get it done.  Mistake number one was made when I closed off an old doorway into the crawlspace this summer leaving only the small window as access to the space.  Number two came when we accidentally bought unfaced fiberglass insulation instead of the "doesn't make you want to crawl out of your own itchy skin" type!
     Of course we realized this after I was already in the crawlspace and committed to just getting it done.  Luckily I had my assistant Kelli with me to feed me insulation from outside cause if I would have had to come out each time I don't think I would have went back in!:).  Once we got going though it went very fast and we were done in less than an hour!

     After we finished the insulation I was pretty sore and tired, even though I've long since hung up the plumbing tool bags and haven't been in a crawlspace in quite a while, turns out I still don't like them very much!:).  Thankfully we had a plan in place for making me forget all about my time in the crawlspace, Sunday morning we drove up to Ione with some friends and rode an old passenger train up to Metaline Falls!  It was a pretty cool deal as you can sit wherever you want and we lucked out and got the only two seats in the crows nest of the caboose!  The views were unbelievable and for a train nut like me it was the perfect way to start the day!  I completely forgot about the previous day and felt like a kid again!

     We raced back home after the train to catch the Cowboys game and it was such a thriller that I thought I was going to have to take a second blood pressure pill!!  They played the Seahawks in Seattle where only one visiting team has won in the past three seasons, now there's two as my Boys played their hearts out and kept me on the edge of the couch the whole game!  I told Kelli after the game that I might need a referral from her moms surgeon cause I think I may have tore my rotator cuff from fist pumping the air so hard!!:).  It was easily the most stressful Cowboys game I've watched in recent memory!  Four hours after the game I told Kelli I'm getting too old for this stuff cause I could still feel my elevated heart rate taking its time to come down after the game!  She thinks if I wasn't a Cowboys fan I probably wouldn't even have high blood pressure, that's one theory that'll never get tested:)

     So to cap off my feeling sorry for myself for getting older, Kelli and I went to the high school football game Friday night and we were holding hands while walking into our seats and Kelli overheard a young high school couple as we walked by them and the boyfriend said "oh look babe, there's us in the future, only I'm not bald".  OUCH!!!!  That's the exact phrase I'll use when Kelli and I see someone in their 70's holding hands!  The day you find out that your officially old enough to be looked at as an in the future kind of way is a rough day!:).  I guess in a wierd sort of way that I haven't  quite accepted yet it's kind of a compliment.  So as I spend this week recovering from belly crawling around the spiders living room and the stress of watching yet another nail biter of a football game, I can't help but think that whoever coined the phrase "your only as old as you feel" probably never owned an old house, and he certainly didn't root for the Dallas Cowboys!  

Remember, just because you still think like a 25 year old doesn't mean your body feels the same way:)






No comments:

Post a Comment