Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Not just another day

     Well Curtis and I fell just a little short at the golf tournament this past weekend, mostly due to the fact that I did not perform that well!  We arrived at the course Sunday morning to find out that we were tied for the lead after day one!  I was just a little excited and couldn't settle myself down until it was too late!  Neither one of us played great but we had a blast and now know that it is better to have to make up a little ground the second day rather than keep a lead, I'm not used to that!  Either way it was an absolute ball and both of us have come to enjoy this annual tournament just as much as the big ones we used to play in back in Glendive.  We will definitely be returning to try and win it next year!
     Monday was a travel day for Kelli and I and after we got settled in from our weekend she took me out for an early birthday cupcake downtown!  Last night we all gathered at mom and dads for a birthday dinner for me as I officially turned the corner towards middle age and turned 36!  All day long I kept telling myself that it was no big deal, just another number, much like many of us have I'm sure.  But when we got over to my parents house and my niece Tatum pointed to my seat at the table and said "that's where you sit uncle Mooley, your the birthday boy!"  I realized that it doesn't matter if we're turning 6 or 36, it is more than just another number, it's a special day!  Tatum reminded me of that with the excitement in her voice and the joy she showed from picking out my birthday gift all by her self!  So as we sat around and socialized, ate WAY too much cake, and capped off the evening with a cruise around the lake in the kayaks, I couldn't help but feel just a little bit special yesterday.  When we loaded up to head home and my mother gave me a hug and told me happy birthday one more time she began to tear up and I began to realize that yesterday was the opposite of just another day, it was an extremely important day!  So important that both of my parents can tell you detailed accounts of exactly what they were doing the day I entered this world and they became a family, even 36 years later! 
     So the next birthday you have, whether it's your 21st or 81st, don't just look at it as another day in your life that may not be that special.  I promise you that someone holds your birthday very dear to their heart and never looks at it that way so neither should you!

Remember, try to approach every birthday through the mind of a child, with excitement and joy, eager to reach another milestone!

1 comment: