Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My how time flies!

     Yesterday was the one day out of the year in which I get the privilege of doing whatever I want, my birthday!  Ever since turning 25, each birthday just feels like another year for me, this one however carries some significance as I turned 35.  I have been reflecting all week on all of the things that have changed for me in the last ten years and try as I might to take this birthday just like the previous ones, as just another day, I can't help but think of how quickly time flies!  It seems as though just yesterday I was a lost young man, in desperate need of some guidance.  When I think of all of the events in which have been included in this change I cannot help but feel exceptionally blessed!  
     Many of you who knew me ten years ago probably would have made a pretty good sized pocket move that I may not live to see 35.  I know that sounds harsh but I understand now more than anyone just how messed up things had gotten for me.  My daily life is consumed with constant reminders of where I have been in this journey we call life, from check ups with my Dr. for the ear surgeries I had, to the scars on my neck that I reveal each time I shave.  Every time I encounter one of these reminders my mind flashes back, replaying the highlights of the past ten years, which always brings a warm smile to my face!  
     So when Kelli asked me how I wanted to spend my day I chose going to the baseball game with our friends Bryant and Hailey, of course this included some ice cream at the stadium!  While sitting there last night in near perfect temperatures, in the company of the most beautiful girl in the world along with two of our closest friends, enjoying a cup of Coldstone ice cream, I felt like the luckiest man alive!  I know I use this sentence quite often to describe myself, but I truly do feel as though I am!  When I think about all of the blessings I have been given, in what I often refer to as my second lease on life, I don't know how I could feel any other way.   


Remember, we are all only as old as we behave:)  I know it's a common saying but it is so true!

No comments:

Post a Comment