Saturday, October 20, 2012

A challenge!

     This past week brought with it a new adventure for me, while over in Spokane for work both Jill and Ryan had places they had to be at the same time and their number one nanny, GG, was in Arizona helping her parents get settled in for the winter.  This meant that by default the only person left to watch Jaxon for a few hours was yours truly.  At first I thought no big deal, this will be easy, the J-bird and I get along great.  Then Jill reminded me that he was going to have to be fed, and most likely changed, while I had him!  The feeding part was no problem, Jill and Ryan have this down to such a science that it took little training to bring me up to speed on what to do.  The diaper changing however, thats a bit more difficult!  Ryan gave me the once over using one of Jaxon's diapers and Tatums doll, then I gave it a try on Jaxon, under Ryan's watchful eye.  It went smoother than I thought it would and I felt like this was going to be easier than I'd expected!
     So Jill fed him and left for work, then Ryan put him down for his morning nap.  Just before Ryan took off he said, he should be good now for a couple hours when he'll need fed again.  I wish he wouldn't have said anything, 12 minutes after the door closed Jaxon was up.  And he remained awake for almost the duration of my watch!  I tried everything in my bag of tricks to keep him happy until it was time for his next bottle, Jill said I should try to keep his feeding times the same so his schedule doesn't get all messed up.  So I anxiously watched the clock and as soon as it was time I fed him, to my surprise though this didn't make him too much happier.  I decided that maybe he needed changed again so I went in and changed the third diaper of my career and it was bone dry!  I swear J-bird laughed at me as I struggled to figure out what it was he wanted.  I saw Jaxon rub his eyes briefly and like a light bulb I realized he hadn't slept at all this morning so I laid him down and he was out instantly!  He slept hard for the next hour, until Jill got home, and like any first time sitter would do I got up and checked on him four times in that hour to make sure he was okay!
     Just like that my first experience at keeping another human alive all by myself was over.  I had successfully kept him breathing and happy!  I was feeling like such a success that I even offered to babysit both Tatum and Jax some night so Jill and Ryan could have a date night, now that I think about it though I might want to wait to do this until Kelli is there to help me, I don't think I could handle it unless her and I can play man to man defense!  

Remember, often the most difficult challenges turn out to be the most rewarding!

1 comment: