Tuesday, October 15, 2013

FFF (Fall Fishing Fun!)

     Yesterday morning I had a sscheduled check up on my ear with my ENT doctor over in Missoula so Kelli and I decided to take advantage of it by spending the weekend in Stevensville with her parents.  It was the perfect opportunity for the girls to do a little shopping and the boys to do a little fishing!  Dan has been fishing the Bitteroot river about 3 times a week and has become quite familiar with a few really good holes that consistantly produce fish.  So Saturday morning Kelli and I drove over and I dropped her off in Missoula with Donna and raced down to Stevi to meet up with my guide for the weekend.  We quickly got our fishing gear put togethor and headed down to Dan's favorite spot, a hole where he almost always catches fish.  
     We got to the spot, suited up and waded out across the frigid waters to access the hole.  After surveying the hole we could see some fish feeding on the surface so at my guides request I tied on a purple haze dry fly while he gave the nymph he had on already a try just upstream of me.  It wasn't long before Dan had us off and running by pulling a whitefish out of the top side of this hole.  Moments later I was hooked up in battle with a nice littel rainbow!  In the next 2 hours we each got into a great number of fish, I landed four rainbows all in the 13"-15" range and Dan caught 2 bows of his own along with a few more whitefish!  For fly fishing in October we were pretty excited about our day!
     On our way back to the car forthe day Dan wanted to give another hole he's had success in one quick try cause he's caught a 16" cutthroat out of it before.  After I gave his nymph a few tries he took over and on his last cast of the day hooked up with another nice 16" fish!  It was a great way to finish off a fantastic day on the water!
     The next morning we came back to the same spot and continued upstream fishing the whole way up.  Dan once again got into the whitefish and when we had fished our way back to the original spot we both got back into the rainbows, catching 3 more, these ones caught in a Cowboys jersey by me as it was game day!  We then went back home so I could get settled in for the game and after eating some of Dan's world fameous ribs we watched the Cowboys roll their way to a much needed win!  All in all the weekend could not have been too much better, spent some quality time with Kelli's parents and had a ton of fun the whole weekend!  We always have fun when we go over there but it certainly is a little more fun for me at least when we can have days like this on the water!:)

Remember, your only goal when fishing in October is to stay upright, anything else is just a bonus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment