Tuesday, October 29, 2013

One of the Great Ones

     Many of us have those special souls in our life who have the impressive ability to put us in a good mood no matter what we are dealing with.  This past week two of those souls in my life left this earth. 
     Leo Balcer passed away last Tuesday and for those of you who did not have the privilege of knowing Leo I can tell you that he will be missed by many people for a long time!  He owned a small in and out restaurant in my hometown of Glendive called Frosty's, which will forever be at the top of my list of favorite places to eat for two items on the menu, potato salad and milkshakes!  My family has been friends with all of the Blacer's for as long as I can remember and one of my fondest childhood memories was when Curt and I were lucky enough to join Dad at Leo's to watch a pay per view boxing match on the big screen!  Leo had one of the original big screen TVs, you know the ones that they pretty much had to build your house around they were so big, and I remember sitting in front of that TV feeling like Evander Hollyfield's right hook was going to hit me he seemed so big!  Leo was also a very avid golfer and with as much time we spent at the course we got to play a lot of golf with him.  It's funny how little tiny details of our lives stick with us forever, like how every single putt I stand over with the same old Wilson 8802 putter I've had for 15 years I give myself the confidence to make the putt by hearing Leo's voice in my head the time he said, "you have one of the smoothest putting strokes I've ever seen", just after I made a 25' snake on number 5 during men's league.  Or how to this day when I'm playing in a scramble and we have a long approach to a par five I still use an old trick, a completely legal trick by the way, Leo taught me in the hospital scramble one year when I was just 17, I can't tell you the trick of course cause I still like to think I'm the only one he ever shared this with:)  Later in life when I had a place of my own I was lucky enough to live just a couple blocks away from Leo and our friendship continued to grow, as I matured I began to realize just how special of a person he was, always in a good mood and never putting himself ahead of anyone.  The world truly will miss Leo Balcer, he was a man we could all learn something from and should aspire ot be more like.  All I know is right now he's undoubtedly up in heaven helping God work on his Texas wedge game, sinking putts from off the green on all of the great courses of his dreams!

     Jill and Ryan's dog Pugsley had to be sent ot heaven last night and if you ever met Pug's you know how great of a loss this is for sure.  Pug's came into the Nagle family way back in Jill's law school days.  He was adopted from a shelter and in no time at all became one of the family.  He and Ryan became best buddies immediately, almost as if they'd known each other their entire lives.  Pugsly was a mix between a boxer and a pug and he had probably the biggest heart of any dog I've ever met.  He was about 35 pounds or so, and if you let him he would climb up on the couch with you and snuggle in to share his love with you whenever he could!  Our dog's came to know and love Pug's like a brother, every time we'd take them to the ranch he would run around with them happily showing them every square inch of his playground.  After we moved here he would even come over for some sleepovers when his family went on vacation which only strengthened his bond with his cousins.  He was one of the most protective, caring dogs I've ever seen, not letting anyone suspicious get close to his family.  He would go on runs with Jill to get a little exercise and protect her, and then come home and literally lay at the foot of the kid's bed's as they wen to sleep making sure no one was going to come in and harm his family!  The last few weeks of his life here on earth were kind of tough as the tumors grew faster each day, all of that pain is gone now though as he has passed over to eternal life.  There is no doubt in my mind that he is up there with Ryan's dad right now roaming around his new playground pain free!  

     These two souls both meant so much to me that words simply could not describe, they truly were each respectively one of the great ones!   

Remember, all of us know on of the great ones, cherish them and treasure each moment you share with them while they are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment