Thursday, October 10, 2013

Unexpected perks

     Last weekend Kelli and I volunteered to help our friends the Ralston's move the rest of their belongings from Missoula to their new home in Seattle.  It was a no brainer for us since they're some of our best friends and it gave us a good opportunity to go back to Seattle, a town we simply love spending time in!  On Friday morning before we left for Missoula I was over working at dad's when I got a rather nice unexpected change in plans.  One of the grape growers in the San Juan islands that we insure had turned in a claim and needed a field visit!  This would have taken quite a bit more planning had I not already planned on being a couple hours away from the vineyard.
     So we headed out to Missoula, spent a short night with Kelli's parents, then loaded up a trailer and a 20' Uhaul and headed west.  We had all hands on deck in order to get it all loaded and still get on the road at a decent time, Bryant and Hailey, her parents, Kelli and I, and the Dobson's.  Unfortunately for Dan and Donna we don't really feel right doing a move of any kind without involving them:)  They were troopers though and greatly appreciated as always as Dan, the tetris master, was finding spots for items that simply didn't exist to the normal eye!  By the time we got loaded up and made the roughly 9 hour trip over to Seattle, it was all we could do to muster enough energy to move at least the mattresses in so we had something to crash on.
   
Our moving crew found some killer eye wear!

    The next morning we got up fairly early and went for a walk around Greenlake, it's a small lake near their house that has a 3.5 mile walk path around it and a Starbucks on the corner, the quick walk loosened our muscles back up and the coffee helped kick start a full day of moving!  We had to rush when we got back to the house cause the Cowboys played in the afternoon and since Bryant is as big of a Dallas fan as I am we weren't about to let moving in prevent us from watching the game!  We took a break in the afternoon and went to a local sports bar where I literally lost my voice yelling at a TV as my beloved boys gave the Broncos a run for their money!  Much like many times before the game ended in heartbreak for me but never the less I remained optimistic about my team, pretty much a necessity if your going to be a Cowboys fan!
     After unpacking the rest of the stuff and putting bed frames and furniture together I finally got to bed around 11, normally not a problem but I had to be on the road for work by 4 the next morning!  Thus far in my short crop insurance career I had yet to experience a claim anything like this one.  This vineyard visit would require punctual timing in order for Kelli and I to make it back to Spokane before the wee hours of Tuesday.  First I would have to drive an hour and a half north of Seattle to the town of Annacortez, there I would board a ferry out to the island, I would have exactly 2 hours to complete my tasks in the vineyard before the ferry left for the mainland, finished off with about a 6 hour trip back home.  Luckily I made it to the ferry on time, having never taken a car on a ferry before I allowed myself a little extra time, then the visit at the vineyard went exactly as planned and I left the growers driveway at 9:08 for the ferry that left at 9:20!  When I got back to the ferry it was 9:12 and I figured they had to be boarding but I had no idea which line of cars I needed to be in, there are ferry's going to 3 different islands so I had to make sure I was on the right one!  I drove past a huge line of cars before finally spotting a sign telling me the line of cars is where I needed to be, so I turned around and by the time I got to the back of the line one more car had slipped in front of me!  I was kind of sweating bullets cause the grape grower had just told me that this 9:20 ferry only takes 50 cars and the next ferry isn't until 1:30.  If I didn't get on this one we wouldn't get home til the wee hours since they shut down I-90 for 2 hours right when we would be getting there to blow up rocks!  When the line started moving I felt pretty good about my chances until they stopped the car right in front of me.  I was thinking they were making room for one more, him, and I would be screwed.  Turns out they were making room for two more and I was the last one on!
    
 Last one on, last one off
 nice little getaway

another giant water taxi
    
viewing deck right above the cars
     Once on the ferry and headed towards the mainland again I got out of the truck and went up to the cafe for a hot cup of coffee to sip while I walked around the viewing deck and took in what I couldn't see in the morning when it was still dark.  I was shocked at how beautiful the ferry ride was, every island we passed was covered in such a dark green they appeared like life sized 3-D paintings!  When I got back to the city and picked up Kelli, I couldn't help but reflecting on just how lucky I am to be able to do what I just did for a day job!  I am extremely blessed an many ways and almost every single day I am reminded of this by yet another one of life's unexpected perks!:)

Remember, the only person you need to be better than is the person you were yesterday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment