Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fun and games!

     Who says we have to grow up?  This evening Kelli, mother, Jill and some friends of theirs had the final night of a bible study they've been doing.  So dad and I decided to go get a bite to eat somewhere to give them mom and dads house without us silly boys getting in the way.  We had a good meal at Boston's while watching a little college basketball, then we headed over to Dicks Sporting Goods to kill a few minutes until the girls were done.
     
     The Dicks in the valley mall has a putting green next to their putter display and it only took dad and I about two minutes before we were in the middle of a putting contest!  We'd been there for about a half hour when an employee walked by and said, "putting contest guy?, I like it!"  We knew he understood, here it is 25 degrees outside and we were just a couple fellow golfers in dire need of some competitive action!  Well shortly after he saw us, and no doubt wanted to join in, we upped the anty by only allowing of the use of the same putter twice before having to switch.  One of the benefits of having about 20 different types of putters all around you!  We kind of lost track of score, although I'm pretty sure I had him beat, and almost an hour after we got there we headed home.  

     I couldn't help but think on the way back to their house to pick up Kelli about all of the putting contests I have been in with my dad.  I can't remember the last time he and I were near a putting green and didn't get into some sort of game.  And every time this happens I am immediately taken back to when I was a kid and he would have these putting games with all of us kids.  When I was younger it seemed like every ball that left the face of his putter went in the hole!  Not much has changed over the years, other than my competitiveness, he still seems to make nearly everything he stands over when he's playing a game against me!  These games always make me feel like a kid again and whether they're on the artificial green in a store, or on the practice green at Augusta National(a guy can dream right:), I look forward to having many more!  One of these days I might even beat the ol man!:)

Remember, if you start to feel like a kid again, don't panic, it's a good thing!  A very good thing!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment