Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

     Well another Thanksgiving weekend is upon us and much like it does every year this day brings with it all the joy in the world as I share quality time with family, and get to watch the Cowboys play!!  The Thanksgiving day game has been played since long before I was a Cowboys fan, 1966 to be precise, but each year I am privelaged enough to watch it I feel that much more grateful.  Thanksgiving has long provided three of my favorite things all in one day, family, desserts, and Dallas Cowboys football!
possibly the best Christmas decoration ever!
     This year were spending Thanksgiving with the Dobsons over in Stevinsville and so far our day has gotten off to a typical Gannon type start.  I got up early and took the girls for a short walk so they could do their morning business and Duchess provided me with some unexpected challenges!  She's been taking an anti inflamatory medication after her eye surgery and for some reason it has not only reduced the swelling in her body but also turned her internal clock back about 10 years!  She has been acting like she's a puppy again, not listening, pinging off the wall with more energy than any mammal alive, and whining when she doesnt get her way.  Come to think of it, maybe she's just preparing us for a future child!  If so she's doing a good job cause almost daily since the surgery she has pushed my patience to the limit.  This morning all in a matter of 45 seconds she managed to hog tie all three of us, me, her and Kashi, with her leash not only once but twice!  Once she was untangled she drug me under a tree that took off my stocking cap, and hog tied herself again.  This time I left her hog tied, grabbed my hat, and headed for the house.  We got back to the house after Duchess hopped her way home, and as I untangled her for the third time I looked her in the face and couldn't help but feel thankfull for her, even with her newfound craziness:)  Mostly I'm thankful that she's done with the medicine now so hopefully she'll start getting back to normal.  Kashi has not gone without her share of craziness this trip either as yesterday when I went to load them in the truck she hesitated jumping into the pick up until after I went to give her some help, then she decided to jump in no particular direction and thankfully I was there to catch her in mid air!  I don't know if you've tried to catch too many 80 lb dogs lately but I wouldn't suggest it.  But between Kashi and Duchess and all of the craziness they bring to our family, we are eternally grateful for all of the joy they have brought us.  They have filled our hearts with more love than we could have ever imagined!
my cheering squad on my run this morning!
     So as I write this and lazily watch Donna scurry around the kitchen preparing our feast, I hope each of you has your own reasons for being thankfull today, whether its crazy dogs or big meals, I hope you all find some joy in your lives today!  I know I will.....as long as the Cowboys win:)

Remember, in the middle of all of the chaos today, don't forget what today is all about!  Count your blessings and pay attention to what you are thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment