Sunday, April 15, 2012

It's a new day!

     Another fantastic weekend is slowly coming to a close as Kelli and i are about to go have a fire on the patio.  We had a ton of fun this weekend, I even made another attempt at landing a fish on a fly rod with no success, I have related fly fishing to golf in that no one goes out and breaks par their first time out, it takes time to gradually improve.  
     Last night we attended the Grizzlies spring scrimmage which was a first for both of us.  The Griz couldn't stand the Bobcats having one up on them with the stadium lights so in the last two weeks Washington Grizzly stadium received eight new light towers!  The scrimmage was the first time they were used and I have to say, they are pretty cool!  That stadium has always been in a league of it's own and this just continued with the addition of the lights.  I was shocked to see how many Griz faithful were in attendance, the athletic department was trying to make the scrimmage feel as close to a real game as possible, including a tailgate that made it feel like September instead of April!  Everything you would encounter at a home game was in place, except the game.  The players ran out of the inflatable giant helmet through the smoke machine, Monte the mascot made a dramatic entrance in an old hot rodded out nova, a Griz volleyball player sang the national anthem, and even the potato gun t-shirt shooter was in action!  The football however was exactly what you'd expect from a scrimmage, the offense ran about four series with each one of the quarterbacks and then they ran a simulated overtime at the end.  
     The oddest part of the entire evening was the announcer was calling the game as if it were homecoming, even yelling out the famous chant of "that's another first down.......Montana!!", each time the offense would move the chains.  Considering there were 8,700 fans in attendance this got old really quick!  Thats not a typo either there were more fans at the spring scrimmage than some FCS schools will see during homecoming!  This town goes nuts for it's Griz!  Some of them are certifiable crazy though as I had to laugh when one fan was screaming at the ref when he clearly thought a pass interference call was missed!  I wanted to walk over to him and kindly remind him we were playing ourselves!
     All in all though it was a very fun evening, the best part may have come when I noticed the Griz will be traveling to Fargo to take on North Dakota in October!  I told Kelli this may be the perfect time for her and I to take a pilgrimage to my home country since she's never been to Adrian.  I could think of nothing more fun than sitting in the middle of all of my die hard Bison cousins completely decked out in Griz maroon watching us beat up on the defending national champs!  It would be a long way to go but sure would be fun!
     Easily the best part of our weekend was while helping our friends move out of their storage unit, they had hired a couple of guys to help out and these two guys don't own a car so they've been doing what they can to make ends meat traveling around town on their bikes.  While waiting for our friend to pick them up in the Albertsons parking lot, one of their bikes was stolen!  Kelli just bought a new bike Friday and I inherited her old one so we had an extra and without hesitation I took it out of the garage sale pile and gave it to this man.  The joy and appreciation he showed for my gesture will keep my heart warm for months!  It was a no brainer for me but you could tell by his reaction that not too many people have given him a break like that.  Little did he know that my act of kindest made me feel equally as appreciative as he was to receive the bike to have such a good life!  I often take for granted all of the blessings I have in life and this mans gratitude reminded me of how lucky I am.  This just proves that some of Gods greatest miracles are the most subtle.


Remember, show some compassion for a stranger and your day will be brighter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment