Friday, April 20, 2012

Oh how we grow!

     I drove Kelli to work this morning so I can pick her up when she's done and we can head straight over to Spokane to help Mom and Dad finish moving into their new place.  Should be a fun weekend filled with just the right amount of work mixed with relaxation.  I called Action on the way back to the house and like always our conversation quickly turned to golf, shocker I know:)  I had to make sure that the second Scotty Cameron putter he recently purchased was still available for a trial in my hands!  
     He told me that my cousin Luke recently played in a local tournament for his high school team.  Dad said Luke didn't play as well as he had hoped to, shooting an 88, but his team collectively played well and they took second overall.  Of course regardless of what he shot Luke is the big man on campus right now having just returned from the hallowed grounds of Augusta National!  I told Dad Luke shouldn't worry about it, tournament golf is far different from casual golf and he will get better once he has more experience in those kinds of tourneys.  
     This reminded me of how my own golf game progressed as I grew older and wiser, and still continues to!  I know stories that start like this are a bit cliche but I don't care.  When I was Luke's age our golf team played a round the week before a tournament to determine who went the following week.  I lucked out one week and played my way into the fifth and final spot for the Forsyth Invitational.  I was pumped!  This was my first high school tourney and I was the lone freshman on the team, the rest of the team all really good juniors and seniors.  I had a horrible day, hitting more shanks than solid shots and posted a 137!  I was utterly embarrassed.  I gradually improved each year though and four years later at the same Forsyth Invite, I shot 72 on aerated greens and won the tournament!  
     So don't worry Luke, as long as you take something positive from each tourney you play in, you will continue to grow.  Heck I'm still learning things and growing each tourney I play in!  Regardless of what the activity is, that's all any of us can hope for is that we continue to make ourselves better.  I try to take this same mentality throughout life, each day I would like to think I learn something that will help me be a better person.  Which reminds me, I better finish packing for Spokane so I can go work on my short game before we leave:)


Remember, our lives will naturally improve if we make an effort to grow, inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment