Friday, April 13, 2012

Like a bandaid!

     I was diving home yesterday evening after another fun-filled week of work on the other side of the divide and Kelli called me with a somewhat shocking idea, she thought we should cancel our dish network service.  Doing so would leave us with no tv at all as we are too far from town to receive the local channels with good ol' rabbit ears!  But after watching Jill and Ryan cancel theirs and survive off of Netflix and Hulu we decided that maybe it isn't such a bad idea.  After talking about it for a while we both realized how much of LIFE we are missing out on by sitting on the couch and watching the same Sportcenter four times in a row every Friday, and fixating ourselves in a Renovation Realities marathon into the wee hours of a Saturday night.  We are lucky enough to live in a section of the world in which many people only dream of visiting one time!  I look around at all of the recreational opportunities around us and we haven't even tried half of them.  
     I know we don't watch a lot of tv but I bet if we sat down and figured it out we would be shocked and appalled at how much of our valuable free time the two of us have wasted in front of this flat screen.  We often complain about our day jobs getting in the way of all of the fun things we would like to do then when we find ourselves with some free time on a weekend we find something to watch rather than getting out and doing one of those activities.  Am I going to have a more joyful experience watching a golf tournament on Sunday or playing 18 at Canyon River?  Is Kelli going to fuel her passion for design more by watching Dear Genevieve or by redesigning our living room?  For me the answers to these questions is pretty obvious!  
     So I called Dish this morning to cancel, fully aware that our two year contract will not be over until September, and talked to Juan.  As you can imagine the language barrier between Juan and myself made for an interesting conversation!  I get just as frustrated with these customer service call center people as anyone else, but I understand he's just doing his job. After literally three minutes of Juan explaining my different options rather than canceling, such as cheaper packages, pausing service, and anything else his computer was telling him to tell me, I finally heard the option I was looking for.  For a small cancellation fee we can stop service effective immediately, I politely told Juan to rip off the bandaid, we're done!
     Now I know what your thinking, how can an extremely good looking, die hard true blue Dallas Cowboys fan such as myself go without watching the games?  That's easy, since I live in Montana and Fox always airs the regional game for your particular area, instead of watching the 'Boys take on the Eagles in a divisional rivalry game, I get to watch the 1-7 Seachickens play the 0 for the century Rams in a game that had fewer people in the stands than Cat/Griz!!  So trust me, I won't be missing much, I'll just have to go in to town to watch the game at Wingers.  I think football Sunday at BWW might be kind of fun!
     So with that, instead of sitting down to watch a re-play of Sportcenter, I think I'm going into town to buy tickets to the Griz spring scrimmage under the lights for tomorrow night!  Now that will be some good viewing!


Remember, take time to get outside and enjoy what God has created!!

No comments:

Post a Comment