Sunday, May 13, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new!

     We took on the task of demoing the old deteriorating mother in law cabin that stood in our back yard this weekend.  As usual there is quite a story involved with this project!  


     Our demo crew, me, Kelli, and friends Bryant and Hailey, began our weekend by picking up the rental trailer at 8am and started tearing into the demo around 9.  Somewhere around 10:15 we lost all power to the house!  Do you know how difficult it is to tear down a structure with no power tools?  Luckily the Northwestern energy tech showed up in record time and got us back online quickly.  Moments later Kelli stepped through a hole in the floor, thankfully she wasn't injured but this hole in the floor will make a return appearance.  The demo carried on and Bryant and I hauled the first load to the dump, only to find out the Missoula dump is easily the most expensive I've ever encountered, each load cost is close to a hundred dollars!  Upon returning we decided to attempt to assist this thing to the ground with the help of my truck, always a good idea to hook a chain to a building and try and pull it over right?  Well it didn't pull it completely over but the pick up peeled the cabin open like a banana which made the rest of the demo fairly simple.
     The next little dilema came while I was on top of the ladder with a sawzall ripping through the roof, my ladder fell through the same hole in the floor that nearly took out Kelli and I went for a ride to the ground.  I waited until the last second and attempted to jump clear of the ladder but the wall got in the way resulting in the ladder finding the middle of my back!  A few expletives proceeded to come out of my mouth causing the neighbor kid to pop over the fence and ask if everything was ok.  Poor guy learned a few new words I'm afraid, oops.  Shortly after this, while all four of us were pushing over a wall, Kellis foot got trapped underneath it!  SOmehow she got it free quickly but not before acquiring a very big bruise along with some pretty nasty swelling!  She's doing much better today though already.  We finally got the cabin on the ground and hauled three more loads to the dump, ending our day sitting around a fire, wishing we had a hot tub to soak our tired bodies in.  The last little stroke of GL came when returning the trailer the guy noticed there was two huge dents in the side, he told me they weren't there when it was rented so I had to have done it.  I was about to get the family attorney on the line when he got his boss and he remembered it happened the day before so I was off the hook.

     So once the trailer was returned without me having to pay for any repairs, Kelli and I spent most of the day Saturday tackling the fence.  Now that the fence is done all we need to do is prep it for concrete and we will have even more patio space to enjoy!  Even though there was a little GL involved throughout the day we got it done without any major injuries and the show must go on!  We're going to take a short break from the major projects to go visit our new nephew then pick back up in a few weeks.  Hopefully this will all be done in time to enjoy most of our summer!

Remember, I'd rather have Gannon luck than no luck at all:)

No comments:

Post a Comment