Monday, August 13, 2012

A fish tale

     Our weekend on the Blackfoot was as spectacular as I had hoped it would be and then some!  I feel like it would only be best to post on this blog the highlights of the weekend as they were put to paper the moment they happened.  The following is a chronicled tale of the journey we embarked upon.

8-11-12
Day one:
     After mobilizing to the put in, the Harry Morgan fishing access along the North fork of the Blackfoot, we loaded up all of our supplies for our two day adventure on the river.  Tetris skills were in full effect as every individual piece had to be placed in just the right spot so they would all stay dry.  We finally launched the raft and as Bryant sat down after pushing us from shore he grabbed for his oars and realized they were on the bank!  He quickly jumped out of the boat and into the knee deep water, scrambling to simultaneously hold onto the raft and retrieve the oars.  I said nothing but thought to myself, I hope that was the last we'll see of the Gannon Luck!
    The morning was beautiful, hardly a cloud in the sky, just enough breeze to keep from getting too hot, and the temperatures were nearly perfect.  As you may know by now I have spent a fair amount of time and energy attempting to land my first fish on a fly rod, Bryant informed me that he had a good feeling about this weekend, that I would finally be able to make it happen!
     A little over a couple hours into our float, Hailey had loaned me one of her Golden Stoneflies, and I was carefully positioning it near the bank.  Seconds after my fly hit the water a good sized fish slashed out from the bottom and lunged at my imitation meal, I set the hook and the fight was on!  He fought me vigorously for what seemed like an hour before Bryant finally netted him, a nice sized cutthroat was my first landed fish on a fly rod!  I was elated!!  I literally shook form excitement for the next full river mile!

     We reached our island we would camp on around 4 and after setting up camp, going for a quick swim, and cooking a nice dinner, Bryant and I headed out for some dusk fishing in Walters lair.  For those who don't know, Walter is the giant cutthroat that Bryant has battled with on an annual basis and so far Walter has won each battle.  As you may recall, earlier this summer I found a nemesis of my own who goes by the name Carl, I found out this evening that Carl and Walter live in the same place!
     I changed flies to a yellow sally and on the first cast hooked into Carl!  He grabbed the fly like it was his last meal and he turned for the deep water immediately, spitting my fly out as he made his way to safety.  It was very brief but so exhilarating I will certainly have trouble falling asleep this evening!

8-12-12
Day two:

     Bryant and I awoke this morning around 5:30 and started our day by brewing up a pot of cowboy coffee.  Once the coffee had woke up our bodies we headed down to attempt to catch Carl and Walter.  While Bryant worked upstream, I fished the same spot I had hooked into Carl the previous night.  After a few minutes I landed a small 8" cutty and took this as a sign from Carl that our battle would be over for this trip, so I tipped my hat to him and bid farewell until next year.  After working my way up past Bryant, I was fishing one side of the island and he was on the other.  I heard him yell from across the dry land and I immediately reeled in and started sprinting over to where he was.  When I arrived I could tell by the bend in his rod that he had Walter and the fight was on!  I quickly unhooked his net from his vest and slowly made my way downstream in an attempt to get behind Walter so I didn't spook him.  Bryant gave him one more good pull towards the shore and I swooped in with the net, hitting bottom as I tried to scoop him up.  Walter was on the bottom himself though and I couldn't get the net in between his massive body and the rocks on the bottom.  I tickled his nose with the front of the net and he instantly turned, shooting himself towards the safety of the deep water, snapping Bryants line as he disappeared.
     This was Bryants most lengthy battle with his nemesis and the closest he's came to landing him, this round goes to you Walter, I'm just happy to be lucky enough to be a part of it!

     As you can tell it was a fantastic weekend!  Considering my love affair with his writings along with the location of my first ever trout on a fly rod, I feel it is only fitting if I end this post with one of my favorite Norman Maclean quotes.

     "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe.  To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy."
Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It"


No comments:

Post a Comment