Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Let it snow!!

     As I began brewing some of Seattle's Best coffee, they wouldn't call it the best if it wasn't the best, I heard Kelli from over near the living room window exclaim "holy crap!"  I looked through the window and saw what had startled her, we had been blanketed with a fresh few inches of mother natures winter coat.  According to the news we should expect to receive much more in the days to come, so far we've got about 4"-5".  This afternoon I saddled up the dogs and took them for a walk into our secret spot that everyone knows about, there is a portion of fence that is opened up to the lumber mills property where I've been told the mill honors a good neighbor policy and allows us locals to walk in.  Although I haven't ventured very far into the trees on the other side of the fence, it is always an enjoyable walk as there is an old logging road we can follow all the way to the peak, if we had the stamina.  
     As we were walking along it continued to snow heavily and both of my black labs were slowly turning into miniature polar bears.  Kashi, who Kelli and I repeatedly joke is a cat in a dogs body, was dipping her head into the deep snow as she walked, each time emerging with a completely white face.  Every time she would do this she would turn to me and lick the air in excitement, if she could put words together she surely would be telling me just how much fun she was having!  I immediately thought about all of the fun times I have had in similar conditions and how I continue to do so today.  I hope that I never get tired of playing in the fresh snow, wether it's making snow angels in the yard with Kel, or plowing through huge drifts with my pick-up, there has always been a child like joy in the snow for me.  
     Every time it snows I am taken back to when I was a kid and Dad would pull us on a sled around the alfalfa field with the pick-up.  As we got older he would let us do it unsupervised and we would build ramps using plywood and straw bales, hitting them as fast as we could, keeping track of the impressions our bodies would make in the snow to see who flew the farthest.  Of course as I get older my daredevil mentality has faded but the excitement of the snow hasn't, I still feel the same rush when we sled down the hill across the road from Jill and Ryan's house.  Truth is, some of my life's fondest memories are centered around playing in the snow.  I realize that there will be a time when I want nothing more than for the snow to disappear, but for now I will join Kashi in diving in head first, literally, in an attempt to create even more lasting memories.


Remember, take time to catch a  snowflake on your tongue, it's more fun than you think

No comments:

Post a Comment