Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Somethings gotta give!

     Yesterday, following a lunch date with Kelli, the girls and I went to the local dog park in an attempt to figure out what I'm going to do for a job.  Most of you know by now that I have been out of work for a few weeks and am caught in the same struggle that many others in this country are.  Since being laid off, I have applied for at least a dozen jobs, none of which have resulted in anything more than rejection.  I have taken my brother Curt's approach when he was searching for work, apply for one job a day and the odds are back in your favor that one of them will call.  While I haven't followed through with daily applications, I will send out three to four at a time a couple times a week.  My biggest obstacle is a gross shortage of trade related work in my area of the state, almost all of the other plumbers that I know who reside West of the divide are making their living in the oil rich plains of Eastern Montana.  
     So I find myself watching my dogs bound around the park, eagerly exploring fresh sights and smells, while I stare at the half frozen Clark Forks quick moving waters, in search of some answers.  The river never appears more alive to me than while in this state, the small forms of ice rage down the river, seemingly enjoying the short ride knowing that they each will soon attach to an ever growing stationary piece of ice jutting out from the bank and the ride will be over.
     While I did not get any overwhelming feelings that my career issues will be solved in the near future, I was able to gain the confidence to be patient as my plan is acted out.  Far too often I find myself almost forcibly hoping something will happen right now and in turn I forget about the big picture.  I know that if I practice a little more patience that all of my worries will be figured out.  Much like the mini ice bergs roaring down the river, I need to focus on the moment and enjoy the ride.  We don't know what we are going to find around the next bend, we may find a fixated piece of ice and our ride might be over, or we may continue on down the river.  I know it may sound silly to compare my life to a floating chunk of frozen water, but to me we are not much different than the ice.  Granted the ice is on a much shorter timetable than we are but we share the same basic characteristics, in the simplest of terms we are born, we float down the river of life encountering many bumps and turns along the way, and then we are stopped and the ride is over.  Sometimes, as Kelli and I did while fishing this weekend, someone comes along joyfully breaking ice off the shore sending it down the river for one more ride.  I guess this could be compared to someone such as myself, who has received a second chance at the ride, all that is asked is that you make the most of it. 
     As you go through your daily routine, wether your in a funk like me or everything is great in your life right now, just don't forget to enjoy the ride.  I swear if you stand at a rivers edge and listen to the water you can almost hear the ice formations screaming with joy, like a child on a roller coaster.  That is exactly how we should each live out our lives, fully absorbing every second.


Remember, all rivers eventually lead to a greater place, just enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment