Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When did I get old?!

     As many of our friends and family did, Kelli and I made yet another resolution to eat healthier and exercise more frequently at the start of this new year.  As has been the case in years past, we drug our feet through the majority of the first month and are just now getting "serious" about it.  I have been running off and on for a couple years now but have yet to get into any consistency with it, unless I'm training for a 5k, and I can hardly remember the last one of those I participated in.  We have been regularly practicing yoga, after attending the holy yoga retreat a few weeks ago, but both of us felt as though we should be doing more to help burn off some of the holiday "trimmings".  Kelli found a workout routine online that didn't appear to be too demanding and we decided to give it a try last night.  Lets back up a bit here, first I ran a couple miles in the morning followed by one session of the workout routine, this nearly did me in and I spent the majority of the afternoon in an attempt to regain the feeling in my extremities.  When Kelli got home and suggested we try the routine I was feeling back to normal so I figured, why not, whats the worst that could happen?
     Totally unaware of the pending consequinces, I proceeded in the workout, about halfway through I almost quit but I pushed on, digging deep down to grasp what tiny little bit of strength I had left.  We finished the routine, relaxed, and went to bed.  As I lay in bed, dreaming of coming down the back nine of Augusta National with a two stroke lead, my body began a transformation in which every single muscle in my body began to morph into stationary objects.  By the time I was awaken by my alarm, I could hardly move my hand to the required position to shut off the noise.  As I slowly forced myself out of bed, each step felt as if it might result in me landing face first on the floor, but as I kept moving things began to loosen up a bit.  I came out to make a fresh pot of coffee and could hardly pour the water into the machine as my arms were unwilling to raise above midrange.  After Kelli left for work, in case your wondering she felt like a million bucks this morning because she's still young and spry, I began feeling a little better as the hot coffee loosened my joints from the inside out.  I spent the majority of the day in the garage working on a new set of patio furniture I am building out of shipping pallets and when I finally stopped moving to have a late lunch, I noticed my body had not fully recovered yet.  So now I am having a hot cup of cocoa, once again loosening things up, waiting for Kelli to get home so I can hide the true nature of my body and do it all over again!  I simply cannot wait, theres a chance at this pace that I wont be able to get out of bed by the time the weekend gets here, I love it!
     I guess the lesson to be learned here is that we are only as old as our mind tells us we are.  Okay, maybe thats grade A bull, but I have to tell myself something or I'll give up and concede to the fact that my body is not what it used to be.  Never the less I will continue to do the work out as long as Kelli does in hopes that someday my mindset will come true and the pain of getting out of bed will disappear.  If you too have taken up one of these silly resolutions, stick with it, sooner or later it will prevail and all of this nonsense will have been worth it.  At least thats what I keep telling myself:)


Remember, success is achieved, not granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment