Thursday, January 19, 2012

Locals vs. transplants

     After we were gifted with around a foot of fresh powder overnight, I decided it would be best if I gave Kelli a ride to work today.  Not that she can't handle herself in conditions like these, her years in Wahpeton, ND clearly prepared her for any amount of snowfall, I just have the time and as my previous post suggested, I kind of enjoy driving in this stuff.  Today was a real treat however as I noticed that Bonner appears to be last on the plowing schedule for Missoula County!  
     While in town I was privileged to witness some of the many differences between true Montanans and transplants.  The reason I say true Montanans instead of natives is because I believe if you move here and adapt to our states environment then you are considered a local.  Heck some of my closest friends from around this state weren't raised here, they've just adapted well and in return we consider them to be locals.  Below I've listed a few of the situations I encountered this morning on my trip to town followed by my clarification of wether the person is a local or not.  If you find yourself matching one of the transplant descriptions, please seek some help from a local!


1.  Small pick-up that slid into the side of a city bus: transplant.  News flash, if we have a foot of snow on the ground your turning lane may not be available, drive with the flow of traffic and don't force it!  Snow banks will throw your car around like a rag doll.
2.  '85 Chevy pulled over on the side street so I can turn in: local.  The best way to prevent an accident is by not creating the situation, by this guy doing this it freed up the entire street for me to turn into without trying to avoid hitting him.  
3.  Front wheel drive car who cut me off spinning out on a red light: transplant.  Guess what? When there is a foot of snow on the ground and ice underneath that, your car isn't going to take off like it would on a sunny August afternoon!
4. Brand new 4x4 Dodge with tire chains on all four tires: transplant.  Just because Dave Smith will sell you the biggest truck on the lot doesn't mean you need it!  Also, all four tires chained up, really?!  It must be a minor miracle that my wife's Subaru is even able to move, if the road conditions scare you that much just stay home!
5. SUV going 25 mph on the completely plowed county road: transplant.  These guys are arguably the most likely to cause an accident than any other driver on the road.  I understand that the 55 mph speed limit is not practical and you should drive a tad more cautiously but come on!  It's a snow packed road, not a hockey rink with reflectors!
6. Finally, the Ford pick up who willingly drove through the deep snow to give me room to pass: local.  Thank you for realizing that it is just snow and not quicksand and that if you approach it intelligently you will be just fine and I can pass by safely.


     You're probably questioning the validity of the fact that I witnessed all of this in one trip to town, truth is, I probably missed much more!  The fact of the matter is, if you're new to this state and are unfamiliar with the ever changing driving conditions we are faced with, just don't drive in them unless you are going to do so safely!  All that is required to do so is a small amount of common sense, I realize that finding that trait is a bit difficult for some, but if you slow down a little and allow yourself a few extra minutes to get to work you will be shocked at how easy it is to tap into the common sense portion of your brain.


Remember, the grass may be greener on the other side, but wait till winter hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment