Monday, February 13, 2012

The Deck!

     Recently my Mother commented on her favorite spot to enjoy the AZ sunshine which is the deck.  She elaborated a bit on how much fun she has had on the deck and how many memories have been made on the deck.  Her post got me thinking on how true that statement really is.  For as long as I can remember I have had either a deck, or when the elevated wooden structure wasn't possible, a patio to enjoy.  So many of my fondest memories have taken place on the deck, much like my Mother.
     This deck is an extension off of the dining room at the vacation rental South of Darby that Kelli and I shared a Memorial Day weekend with her parents last year.  Even though it is not very big and we were only there a few days, this deck provided the foundation for some lasting memories as we enjoyed peaceful mountain sunsets while Dan barbecued up a tasty steak dinner.
     Some of my deck memories are sad, while being reprimanded by my Mother for taking some of Curt's baseball cards to trade with the neighbor kid, a railing gave way and she fell about ten feet landing on the rocks below!  I was mortified, thankfully she walked away from the incident with no more than a pounding headache.  Some of my deck memories are funny, like when Kelli and I took advantage of a deal we saw in the paper for a little romantic getaway to the hot springs at Lolo, only to find the worlds smallest porch greeting us for our getaway (the one in this picture below).  There wasn't even enough room for both of us to sit on this one at the same time but we still had a good enough laugh about it to form a lasting memory.
       Every one of my deck memories are lasting, regardless of where they take place.  I have too many to list from my childhood, from barbecues with friends, to smores over the fire pit, almost every time I am on a deck a memory is born.  These memories can come from more than just decks too, it can be a patio, a porch, or even just a bare patch of yard.  The only requirements are a barbecue, a fire pit (sometimes these can be the same thing like they often are in Butte at the Skannons), and a healthy array of seating.  If you can make a spot at your house meeting these three requirements I can all but guarantee that you will have no trouble at all building memories of your own.  
     So when Kelli and I bought a house that had no area like this in place what do you suppose the first order of business was once the boxes were all unpacked, you guessed it, a patio.  I know it's technically not a deck, a deck just wouldn't work with this house layout, but I am certain that since this meets the criteria mentioned above that we will have no trouble at all building more memories, we've only had the patio six months and we already have.  So if you don't have a deck, patio, or porch to build memories from I strongly suggest you get to know someone who does, I promise you won't regret it!
     One more thing, don't forget to grab your snow shovel and use your deck throughout the winter months.  Trust me, your barbecue grill and your family will thank you for it!


Remember, the strongest memories we have are made with those we love!

No comments:

Post a Comment