Friday, February 3, 2012

You never know

     I woke up this morning and began preparing for our trip to Spokane to visit family much the same way I do every morning, made a fresh pot of coffee and turned on Sportscenter for my daily intake of events from the sporting world.  I was immediately disturbed as one of the days top stories was that Josh Hamilton, the Texas Rangers center fielder who has become my favorite baseball player because of his life's history similarities to my own, was spotted in a Dallas bar drinking.  Of course the details are few and far but for an addict it doesn't really matter what the details are, a relapse is what it is.  
     I hope that Josh has the courage and strength to rebound from this little misstep in his recovery and continue down the good road he has been on for the past few years.  Having read his book I am fully aware that deep down he is a very good person with exceptional values and I only wish him the best.
     This is but a stark reminder for all of us who are either in recovery or part of someones support group, every addict has struggles, regardless of who they are.  If a professional athlete who makes $12 million a year is going to have bad days, an unemployed plumber who lives paycheck to paycheck is surely going to have bad days as well.  We all just have to take them one at a time!


Remember, don't get in such a rush today, you don't know what tomorrow is going to bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment