Sunday, February 12, 2012

Don't be that guy!

     Kelli and I decided to take in the Lady Griz game yesterday as they played host to the Northern Colorado Bears.  We saw these two face each other last year also and given the talent on both teams, we knew it would be a good game.  We were not disappointed, the home team fell behind early after shooting only 26% form the field, they trailed at the half by 16 points.  We enjoy watching Griz basketball because of the local connection with our hometown area of Eastern Montana, the Selvig family has been coined "Montana's first family of basketball".  Two members from said family, Carly Selvig, and  her cousin Jordan Sullivan, both get significant playing time, Jordan as a starter and Carly coming off the bench.  On top of this their coach, who happens to be their uncle Robin, is one of the most decorated leaders in the Big Sky conference.  Part of being a great coach is his animation, at times you can hear him screaming to his players over the pep band!
     Coach Selvig must have hit the right chords at the half because the home team came out shooting much better along with playing much better defense and by the end of the second half the game was tied!  They failed to get the offense going in overtime however and fell to the Bears by two points.  The game would have been completely enjoyable, even with the loss, if it wasn't for that guy!
     I don't know why but I have this uncanny ability to find myself sitting directly in front of the most annoying person in the stands at nearly every sporting event I attend.  It never fails, for some reason I attract this person.  Todays guy was somewhere in his mid 60's and I could tell you just from what he was yelling that he arguably never played a single minute of competitive sports.  Now I'm not saying I am the best analyst in the stands by any means, I'm just saying if you're going to yell something in the direction of the referees, make sure that it actually makes sense!  This guy apparently was watching a different game, he claimed the home team never ran an offensive play when in fact I witnessed at least four different offensive sets.  He was also loudly sharing at the half that it was the coaches fualt alone and he should be fired!  It took everything I had not to turn around and give him a piece of my mind.
     This happens at nearly everything we attend.  We've gone to football games and listened to a guy behind us argues an offsides call that Ray Charles could have caught, we've been at rodeo's where the guy behind us not only referred to the first event of the day as bare bronc rather than bareback, he also told the woman next to him that the rider had to stay on for 10 seconds but the last two seconds he could use two hands, and sat at baseball games where the guy behind us yelled at the coach to pull the starting pitcher after giving up just one hit.  
     It seems like everywhere we go theres one of these guys in the stands, it's inevitable that I'm going to sit right in front of him!  Kelli thinks this happens because I'm probably the only guy who will sit there and not start anything with the guy, she's probably right as I have never turned around and corrected the guy when he was wrong.  I think it's simply the GL!  Again, I am not claiming to be some sort of all sports expert, but the more times I sit in front of that guy the more I think maybe I am!
     So if you find yourself in this situation, which you more than likely won't unless you're attending a game with me, do the right thing and let the guy make a fool out of himself to those around you.  Even if he's blatantly wrong in his assessment, he payed the same good money you did to enjoy himself so if he feels the necessity to yell the wrong thing to make himself feel better, so be it.  Just as long as you don't become that guy!!


Remember, some of the best thoughts are the ones we don't put to words:)

No comments:

Post a Comment