Thursday, February 2, 2012

Evening run

     Last night, much to the displeasure of Kelli, I decided to go for a run last night after the sun had gone down.  She expressed great concern over this idea because our roads out here in the ghetto have no street lights and are extremely dark.  I convinced her I would be fine, especially since I had put on the brightest shirt I own.  So I took off and two blocks into my route I already knew this was a terrible idea!  I purposely ran down the road that separates the neighborhood from the mill because these folks along this street almost all have some sort of a yard light, that combined with the fact that the road is the widest here gave me the best chance of survival.  The farther down this road I ran however, the darker it got, almost as though the homeowners had been called by my wife and in an attempt to scare me home had turned off their porch lights.  It worked and less than half a mile into my intended two mile run I turned around to head home.  I have seen too many episodes of 48hr Mystery and I had completely mind screwed myself out of finishing this run.  
     So as I headed towards the house, seemingly out of harms way now, I had one last little hurdle to clear.  The last block before I got home happens to be on the main street leading into our neighborhood and is heavily traveled along with extremely narrow.  I turned onto this block in anticipation of this and dug deep to find one more surge of energy, nearly sprinting to the corner of our street.  Half way down I spotted a car coming towards me and seconds later realized the shadow in front of me was growing, meaning only one thing, there was a car coming behind me too!  This scared the crap out of me, not literally thankfully, as I knew the road only got narrower and neither car was going to give me the right of way.  With Eminem urging me on through the ear buds, I kicked it in high gear and ran at a rate faster than most humans are capable, as I reached the corner of our street I leaped over the corner of a snow bank just as my left foot glanced off the front of the passing car!  At least thats how it happened in my head.
     Having reached my front porch in one piece, thanks to my Bond like athleticism, I was slightly disappointed that my run had been cut short.  My heart rate however had reached a beat that surely would have been deadly to someone who is not in the peak physical conditioning as I.  Naturally when I composed myself and walked through the door just minutes after leaving, Kelli knew something was up, I downplayed it of course so she could not gloat in the satisfaction of being right about running in the dark.  I may not have admitted my defeat to her, but you can bet if I run today it will happen long before sunset!


Remember, our physical limitations are endless with the right mind set!

No comments:

Post a Comment